It’s time to start developing your idea.
Here’s what we want to accomplish this week.
- Memorize key creative principles & techniques
- Sketch the idea for your story
- Select a story you will plot
Discovery Questions & Activities
Question 1: how do you get and develop ideas? (2 hrs)
- Read Lesson 5: How do you get and develop ideas? (you can skip the link to No Clue, No Solution if you want because you’ve already done it, but you still might want to read it anyway)
- As you read, please fill in the answers to the test 2 study guide.
- Post in the comments one insight you picked up about getting and developing ideas
- Take the test at the end of the week
Question 2: What’s my setting and what’s cool or interesting about it? (3 hrs)
- Read through step 3 of Lesson 6: Develop your idea – Character, Setting, & Problem
- Create a sketch for each of the following:
- Magic (if applies). Include the bullets listed in the lesson in your sketch. You may want to generate multiple options for your magic before you settle on one.
- Creatures (if applies). Include the items listed in the lesson in your sketch.
- Technology (if applies). Include the items listed in the lesson in your sketch.
- Natural aspects. Your goal is to make it clear in your mind AND find zing.
- Man-made aspects. Your goal is to make it clear in your mind AND find zing.
Question 3: Who are my characters and what’s cool and interesting about them? (3 hrs)
- Read step 4 of Lesson 6: Develop your idea – Character, Setting, & Problem
- Create a sketch of each of your main characters that includes their dominant impression. Again, your goal is to make them clear in your mind AND find zing.
Question 4: What’s my cool MOTHR? (3 hrs)
- Read steps 5 -6 of Lesson 6: Develop your idea – Character, Setting, & Problem
- Brainstorm 5-10 different MOTHRS you might make a story from. If none of them carry much zing, list of 5-10 more until you find at least 3 that do.
- Use the questions in lesson 6, step 5 to help you develop the options that pull you.
- Select your top 3 MOTHRs and put them in the story setup form I explain in the lesson. Road test them on some friends to see which one they like best. If you need to repeat the last few steps to get some MOTHRs that carry a lot of voltage for you, do it.
- Select the story idea with the most zing for you. This is the story you will write.
- Post the top 3 story setups you created in the comments and tell us which one is for the story you will write.
Test Guide – Getting & Developing Ideas
- What are the three things you need to be creative?
- What are the 6 parts you need to develop ideas for?
- How does selective attention affect getting ideas?
- True or false. You can sketch all your good ideas up front.
- What is zing?
- What is the drag net?
- How do you hunt with a purpose?
- What are 3 sources for zing?
- What is creative Q&A?